Lights, Camera, Action!

I finally got around to taking a video of my video set up in my craft room!  I kept forgetting because I needed either my iPhone or my iPad to film the video because my video camera would be in the video and I kept forgetting to bring them upstairs and/or they needed charged when I thought about it. But tonight I got it done.  Please excuse the lighting as inside the iPad lighting is not as good as my regular video camera also we have to deal with the narrow image but I think you can see how I've got it set up.



I have two ways that I edit my videos.  If it is a short video sharing something I've created., I will go ahead and talk as I make the video.  I don't like doing that because if others in the house yell up at me or someone rings the door bell or a hungry cat comes in meowing a lot, then I'll have to start over but it is quicker and I don't have to edit.  For this one I just uploaded it straight to Youtube from my iPad.  If it's a short video taken with my video camera, I take the video card and install/upload it through my PC and add transitions and a title and text if needed.  If it is a LONG video with instructions or for a tutorial, I will edit it on my Macbook Pro so I can do voice over and talk as I WATCH the video rather than trying to remember what to say as I work on the project and film it.  This does take longer to do but the iPhoto software on the Macbook Pro is MUCH easier to learn and remember how to use than the software on my PC that does the same functions.  It is during editing that I can speed up a long, boring section which is a huge help with long videos.

I hope this gives you some idea on how to set up a video area for your own crafts if that's something you've been wanting to do. The extension arm was ordered from BH Photo and it cost around $75 plus shipping.  I already had my tripod and it is a really heavy, pro type which you could get by with a smaller one for a video camera as they are not as heavy as a full frame size digital camera.  I've also seen some crafters use this set up with their iPhone but I'm not sure what adapter you'd need to attach the iPhone to the extender arm.  Leave a comment if you have any questions and I will answer it in the comments as well as via email to you.

EDITED TO ADD:
Shopping info for Extender, price from B&H Photo $79.95 + shipping
Photek
  • Lateral Side Arm with Ball Head
  • 38" Long Telescoping Arm



    Tripod, same brand as mine but less expensive good for camera up to 11 pounds, price from B&H Photo $107.95 +shipping
    Manfrotto
    • With Wing-Nut Leg Locks

    Popular Posts