Hidden Treasures Trunk - Finished!!


Actually, I finished up this trunk back in April and the mini albums the first of May but it's taken me this long to get around to photographing it!  I loved, loved, loved this project! This is designed by Kathy Orta Files of Paper Phenomenon and you can buy the tutorial in her shop.  If you want the videos that go with the tutorial, you have to buy her Digital Kit #10 .  The tutorial costs $14.95 and the Digital Kit costs $99 but includes the tutorial too AND videos/tutorials for two other projects and three bonus projects!!  So definitely check that out if you love this trunk.  I've added the links to Kathy's website and direct links to the two options for you to get started on your own trunk.  I'm thinking I may make another one in different papers.

I had the full kit from Paper Phenomenon for this one which included all the papers and hardware. The full kit is sold out and for now I think Kathy is out of the hardware too, but I've found a shop in China that sells small metal hardware items and though it will be a bit different, I'm thinking it will work just fine.  The papers for this trunk were Tim Holtz Wallflower 12 x12  Paper Pad.

Believe it or not, that trim on this trunk is NOT leather!  It is all chipboard!


The photo above shows one of the hidden features of this trunk.  It's a drawer and when it's closed you really don't know it's there and when you open it, there is a mini album inside!

Below I show the trunk lid opened up. Inside the trunk is a short compartment  that holds a Graphic 45 Book Box and Tag mini album.  I added this extra album myself as it fit perfectly!


Below is the book box out of the album.  There was even room to add that knob and the roses and it still fit in the trunk!


This is the book box open showing the mini tag album.  I may add more  stuff to the tags later. For now they are just covered with paper.

And now the main hidden feature of the trunk!  The front panel drops down to reveal a photo frame (for now I just have paper in it with thes mall  bird and the yellow flowers) AND another drawer that hold a mini album too! This front panel is held closed with magnet "leather" closures.  The frame is just above the drawer.

 Here's the mini album that you make with the tutorial from Paper Phenomenon.  Again, I love this project! People who see it in person are amazed that it is handmade! Kathy Orta Files is a fabulous designer and puts so much detail in everything she designs.  I've been asked why I buy her kits and tutorials rather than designing my own.  And my answer is because I love Kathy Orta's designs and why reinvent something?  Yes, I do design my own projects now and then but those are my own ideas and not something I've seen by other designers myself.   When I see something I like even if it's designed by someone else, I will buy it and create from their instructions or even take a class and of course give them credit and send you their way.

Since it's hard to share completely what a finished project looks like, I made this little video on Youtube. That way you can see how I finished the insides of the albums AND get a look at how the trunk opens.


Here's the links to Paper Phenomenon where you can purchase your own tutorial for the Hidden Treasures Trunk or Digital Kit #10.

Paper Phenomenon Website
Hidden Treasures Trunk Tutorial Only
Digital Kit Club #10 that includes the tutorial for the trunk

Happy Crafting,

Popular Posts