A Jolly Halloween


I can't believe that Halloween will soon be here! Only 10 more days!  I decided that I would make another Halloween card for the Cards in Envy challenge that starts today.   If you participate in the challenge you can make a card for any theme or occasion,  the only requirement is that it must use the SPOTLIGHT technique.  I found cards  on Pinterest made as spotlights several months ago and thought it would be a great challenge.  It seems that all of the Designers at Cards in Envy including myself had never made a spotlight card.  However, they did an awesome job with their cards and I think they will give you some great ideas and inspiration, so be sure to go over to Cards in Envy and check them out!

To make a spotlight card, you choose an image and stamp or print it up twice.  You color a portion of the image, the part you want to spotlight, and cut it out into a circle or square or oval.  You then attach the spotlight portion over the same part of the image that is still a black and white.  For example, in my card above the Jack-o-lantern guy's head is in color while the rest of the image is black and white.  I attached the Jack-o-lantern head that is in color over the Jack-o-lantern head in the image that is black and white.  I spotlighted his head.  You can spotlight more than one portion of an image if you like and you can make it in reverse with the entire image in color and the spotlighted portion in black in white.  We found that this technique is a lot of fun and quick and easy.  I hope you will give it a try and share your card with us at Cards in Envy for the Spotlight Challenge.  Remember, you must create a card that is an A2 (4.25" x 5.5") size and it must be  flat enough to fit in an envelope for regular first class postage.  The Cards in Envy challenge does not award prizes but we do give out fun badges--one for the First Class card and a In The Mailbox badge to three or more cards selected by the Designers .

We have a lot of fun creating cards at Cards in Envy and  hope you'll join us!

There's not much product detail to share on this card. The main thing was the spotlight technique.  I used a rubber stamp that I had in my stash and I cannot remember where I bought it nor what company manufactured it.  I did add some rhinestones that I colored with a purple Copic marker.  The spotlight portion of the Jack-o-lantern guy is colored with Copic markers.  The background paper is a scrap from a 12x12 piece that I had left over from another project.  I used orange satin dotted ribbon for the bow and black cardstock to layer the image.

Happy Crafting,

Popular Posts