Christmas Card Keepsake Book


So Christmas is over and people everywhere (if they haven't already) are taking down their decorations and packing away or {gasp} throwing away the Christmas cards that they received from family and friends.  I've watched a few tutorial videos that show you how to make books out of your cards but then the cards are painted on and altered and used as art journal books.  I saw one though that had you cutting the cards to make tags for a binder book, so I decided to take that concept, put a spin on it by  my making my own book and using my cards for the tags and pockets.  This is what I did on New Year's Day and yes, my Christmas decorations are still up.  I'll worry about that tomorrow. Ha, ha.

This book measures 6 3/4" wide x 9 " tall.  It's  real thick and the added cards do make it stand open so I created a belly band closure that slips over the entire book and holds it closed.  It has the belly band on it in the above photo and the band has been removed in the photo below.  You can see how I made tags out of the sentiments and signature greetings of the cards and used some of the card fronts to create pockets.  There are no other decorations in the card except for the cards.  I love how it turned out!


On the page on the left below, I created the pocket out of patterned paper and then added an element that was on the front of a card and used a black marker to draw the legs of the sled.  Inside the pocket is a letter that was written inside the card.  What's great about this book is, you can add all those great photo cards and put letters and personal notes in the pockets. This book is for two Christmases--2012 and 2013. I'm so glad that I saved last years cards!  I think that I also have cards saved from 2010 and 2011 so guess what! I'll be making another book for those!  I created this book with red Bazill cardstock and a DCWV Christmas paper stack that I got for Christmas.



As I was making the book, I thought this would be a great class to teach at Cat's Creations Scrapbook store so I sent Cat a text message.   I'll be teaching this Christmas Card Keepsake Book (Cat is trying to come up with a cute clever name for it) on Saturday, January 11th at 10:30 a.m.   I know it's short notice, but it was the only January date/time available at the store.  The class fee will include instruction from me, cardstock and patterned paper to create the book as well as chipboard for the covers.  You'll bring your tool kit, adhesives, glues and of course your Christmas cards to make a book that's uniquely your own.  Check Cat's facebook page or website for more info and class fee.  She should be getting that info up in a day or so.

I'm going cropping at Cat's on Saturday.  Originally I didn't think I'd get to go but hubby's plans changed and now I'm going.  Can't wait but I also can't decide what to work on! Decisions, decisions.

Have a crafty good day and I hope you didn't throw your Christmas cards away!

Popular Posts