Lucky

Lucky:  adjective,  producing or resulting in good by chance, blessed

So, it's been a really hard week out here in our neck of the woods.  Saturday night I noticed a burning smell.  I thought it smelled electrical.  My daughter and son-in-law thought it smelled like plastic. My husband can't smell well at all and smelled nothing.  We looked outside and didn't see a fire near us. We thought someone somewhere was burning trash as that happens a lot in our unincorporated, unrestricted neighborhood outside of any city limits.  We were wrong.  Ends up it was an electrical and plastic smell.  My nephew's (who lives on the back side of our property) mobile home was on fire! We did not see it for nearly an hour and a half! The smell got bad enough that my husband finally smelled it and that's when he saw a puff of smoke as he looked out of our upstairs window. The cause--lithium batteries for his RC cars most likely exploded.  My husband fought a good fight. Inhaled lots of smoke containing the fire to the back bedroom.  He and a neighbor ripped open the metal back door to that bedroom with their bare hands so he could spray water on the fire.  My daughter and son-in-law rolled off the water hose from one of our work trucks and connected it directly to our well house.  The small metal 1950s mobile home did not burn to the ground but almost everything inside was gone.  All of his furniture, clothes, big screen t.v., computer.  All gone.  But we were blessed.  Lucky.  Jim (my nephew) was not at home..no one got hurt.  On Sunday we pulled out everything and started throwing it into a trailer to be hauled off.  Several of my nieces and Jim's sister from Oklahoma came out and carefully washed his dragon knick-knack collection and his late mother's angel collection.  They washed, dried and wrapped them up to be stored until he has a new home.  Many of his photos were okay too.  Those in frames were taken out to be placed into new frames.  Lucky.  Blessed.

Work was started on it right away this week, with one day put on hold to wait for the rain.  Today the old mobile home is gone, thanks to the hard work of my husband, nephew and brothers-in-law and our combined heavy equipment.  Next, they will be leveling the land, taking down fences, trimming back some tree limbs in preparation of a new mobile home that we will be going to look at in Oklahoma on Sunday.  Lucky. Blessed.  I'm happy to say that my hubby is okay after inhaling all that smoke.  They brought out Life Care on Saturday night to check him out, but he is a stubborn man. He had a cough for a few days after but now he is fine.  Jim is holding up good.  He's received cash money donations and has been able to buy new clothes, shoes, etc.  Others have bought and brought him clothes including a jacket, sweat shirts, work boots etc.  His friend Christina started a GoFundMe account and many friends/relatives have donated to that fund. That money will be used to help him set up his new home for whatever he might need. If you have a few extra dollars to spare and would like to donate to help me help my nephew, here's the link:  Jim's Go Fund Me Account  Thank you so much.  We are indeed lucky and blessed. So very, very blessed.  All thoughts and prayers are appreciated so much and myself and my nephew Jim are very thankful for the help, money, clothing, etc. donated. Thank you, Thank you.

So, the Lucky tags are what I worked on Saturday afternoon before the fire that evening.  I'd decided that I wanted a wood block set for my mantel to hang tags each month for the season or holidays. Hubby would have cut me some blocks but I decided to just order the set from Little Blue House and while I was at it, order me a tag kit for March.  I will probably design and create my own tags for the next months.  I only got the tags done, still need to paint and put pattern paper on the wood blocks.  I have done NO crafting this week.  I've been mentally and physically exhausted. Though I can't do much physically, I'm still tired and the crafty mojo just hasn't been there.  I did finally get in the craft room for a bit yesterday afternoon to see what I needed to do. Today and tomorrow I will be cutting kits for my March 5th class at Flossie Scrapper.


Happy Crafting and may you always be Lucky and Blessed!

Popular Posts