Happy Holidays Santa Canvas {The Video}


Happy Friday everyone!  We are in the big countdown to Christmas....are you ready?  I'm always ready whether I really am or not. Ha, ha.

I got the video done showing the steps on how I created this 10"x 10" Santa canvas.  It's a "fast forwarded" video which means I speeded it up in editing so it looks like I work super super fast.  I don't. It is a long process to create a canvas and I did not want to share a really, really long video. So you get to watch it in Speedy Gonzalez mode.  I did add background music. If you don't like it, turn your volume down or mute.  I also did a voice over to tell you what I was doing....but, YouTube didn't upload the voice over. Hmmm...not sure why and I really don't think I will have time to figure that out.  So it is a silent movie except for the music.

I will, however, try to remember and share here the supplies I used and maybe list some of the steps.

  • 10"x10" blank canvas - paint it with white GESSO.  Allow to dry.

  • 12" x 12" scrapbook paper with words (doesn't matter what it says) - tear into jagged sections and glue to canvas with MULTI-MATT MEDIUM or some other type of fixative of your choice.  Allow to dry.

  • Pink Acrylic Paint - Use a brush to mix the paint with Multi-Matt Medium and brush over the entire canvas piece and the words.  Apply more paint (not mixed with Multi-Matt) to the edges of the canvas and in any area you want a bit darker pink.  Allow to dry.

  • Gesso & Water - Brush Gesso mixed with water over the canvas to blend the words into the background.  Allow to dry.

  • Pink/Red Toned Faber Castell Gelato Crayons - color with three different Gelato crayons (dark, medium, light) in same or similar color familes) to the edges of the canvas.  Use a brush and water to blend the Gelatos, use a baby wipe and your brush to blend and create a background that you like.

  • Dark Green Faber Castell Pitt Big Brush Pen - Apply the ink from the pen to a texture rubber stamp and randomly stamp the darker color to the corners and edges of the canvas. Allow to dry.

  • Multi-Matt Medium - tear out images like the Santa and the Happy Holidays from scrapbook paper or that you print on your computer and glue to the canvas using the Multi-Matt Medium. Allow to dry.

  • Workable Fixative (Optional) - if desired, spray the entire area with the Workable Fixative. Allow to dry.

  • Fiber Paste - use a Scrapper Tool and a Snowflake Stencil to randomly add snowflakes to the canvas.  Allow to dry, best if overnight.

  • Washi Tape - randomly add 4 strips of wahsi tape.

  • Multi-Matt Medium -  brush Multi-Matt Medium over the Washi Tape so it stays stuck down.

  • Gesso & Water - Brush Gesso mixed with water over the Washi Tape pieces to blend them into the background and to mute the color of the tape.

  • White Sharpie Pen - Add random dots to the canvas with a white Sharpie Pen.

  • Perfect Pearls Mist - spritz the entire canvas with the Perfect Pearls.  (I used the clear "Perfect Pearls" color.)  Allow to dry.

  • Petaloo Flowers & Greenery, 3D Crystal Lacquer - arrange and glue the flowers/greenery to the canvas using the 3D Crystal Lacquer.

  • Perfect Pearls Mist - spritz some Perfect Pearls Mist to your craft mat and use a brush to "paint" the flower petals and greenery to give them a frosty look. Allow to dry.

Here's what I've learned (for me) regarding Mixed Media art.  Use what you have.  Keep the colors simple--using too many colors gets to busy and looks "unplanned."  For this canvas, I used the pink/red colors that went well together and were similar to the colors in the Santa image and the Happy Holidays image.  Don't use too many different techniques.  On this canvas I have the snowflakes, the dots,  the texture stamp and a small amount of Washi tape.  Any more and I think it would have been too much with the images and the flowers.  Stop when it looks good.  Don't try to add more.  I don't know if this makes any sense or not but I have done some art journaling pages that I did not like when done and I think it was because I tried to use too many colors and too many techniques for the size of the page.  And one other thing....if you do dabble in mixed media, know that you cannot do other papercrafts on the same worktable!  Mixed media (for me) gets everywhere!  I like to do the mixed media project, finish it and clean it all up--putting all the supplies away so I don't contaminate any of my papercrafting cards and mini albums.


Oops! Almost forgot!  The VIDEO!!


https://youtu.be/YhpuG4OI39U




Happy Crafting,

Popular Posts