Merry, Merry and a Bit of Snow!


It's time for a new card challenge starting today for Cards in Envy and the theme is "Let it Snow!" Here in Texas, of course, we rarely have snow and will not have any this week for Christmas.  I've heard that the Northeast part of the USA doesn't have any either yet which is really unusual for this time of year so I guess we will all have to make our own snow and put it on a card! Ha, ha.

Anyway, there's this "snow" technique that I discovered this year though I think it's been around for several years.  I've just never seen it, which means you can always learn something new in the crafty world!   I first saw it on a card by Stampin' Up! Demonstrator Kristy @ Stamping with Kristy on Facebook.  Her card used tree stamps and was left black and white with the snow treatment done to it.  So I googled the technique and found how to do it on YouTube.  You use---pay attention here---you use USED dryer sheets!  That's right, used dryer sheets.  You'll need one for each card.  You also need a can of spray adhesive, I bought Elmer's Craft Bond and fine white glitter.  I liked Martha Stewart's Crystal Fine White glitter that I bought at Michael's.  The rubber stamp also came from Michael's and I got it for 60% off!!  It's called "Christmas Cottage" by Stampendous.  I love the black and white look of Kristy's card but I wondered if it would work well with a touch of color on the image.  I colored mine lightly  with my Copic markers.  And here's how the magic happened.  You spray that smoothed out dryer sheet with the adhesive, attach it over your image and sprinkle on the glitter and tap it off.  It creates this gorgeous snowy look over your image.  Love, love, love this!

The red dot paper I used is from a 6x6 paper pad called Christmas Kitsch by Anna Griffin.  I cut the sentiment tag out on my Big Shot using a Simon Says Stamp! Stitched Rectangle Die.  The "Merry, merry" sentiment is an acrylic stamp from Close to My Heart called "Double Merry Holiday."  I tied a bow from some sheer dark green ribbon in my stash and tied the tag on with button twine.  The sentiment is embossed with Wow! White Twinkle embossing glitter.  So pretty!

I am very late in mailing out Christmas cards this year so will probably only mail a few today from handmade Christmas cards that I kept (sold a lot a few weeks ago) and from some I made yesterday. It's really hard to believe that Christmas is THIS Friday!  The Cards in Envy card challenge runs for two weeks, through January 3rd. So if you don't have time to make a snow card this week, maybe you can take a break from the busyness of the holidays next week and create one.

Happy Crafting!

Popular Posts