Picture Day + Peanut Brittle Recipe


This is peanut brittle that I made several  Christmases ago.  When I make it, I always use my Mother's recipe. The recipe that my Mother used was always labeled Aunt Mabel’s Peanut Brittle. Some thought that it was a recipe my Mother created as her name was Maebell but really the recipe was from an uncle’s wife on my Dad’s side of the family.

I have shared this recipe in the past on my blog and want to repeat  that the secret to this peanut brittle was to have been able to make it with my Mother and learn from her which I was very lucky to be able to do–learn from her. I’m going to share it  here again on my blog for those who may have missed it. Just remember, that if it doesn’t turn out right, you’ll just have to keep trying.  Experience makes perfect and then sometimes you will goof up.

My Mother’s Peanut Brittle Recipe (With Tips Added in by Me)

Before measuring the ingredients, prepare a cookie sheet by buttering it well on the bottom and sides and place it in a warm 190 degree oven (the oven trick is something I learned and added to this recipe. It makes the hot candy mixture spread easily in the pan.) Also butter a large spoon and lay it aside. You will need this to spread the candy in the warm cookie sheet. Also, take a small bowl of water and add a couple of ice cubes. This is for testing the candy to see when it is done. Pre-measure 2 teaspoons of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of vanilla and put each into separate little bowls and set them near your stove so you will have them ready to add to the hot candy mixture at the proper time.

Ingredients

2 cups sugar
3 cups raw shelled peanuts
1 cup Karo syrup
Piece of butter (the size of an egg, which is about 2 or 3 teaspoons)
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt

Put all of the above ingredients into a saucepan.


Cook until it turns a reddish brown color (about 30-35 minutes). Stir frequently. After about 25 minutes cooking time, you will need to start testing a drop of the candy in a small bowl of ice water. You want the candy to get to a brittle stage. You will know it is ready when the drop of the mixture into the cold water is easy to break after it cools and it not sticky when you eat it. The peanuts will also taste done.   This is the only way to know when it is ready for the next step.


When ready as described above, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla first and then add the baking soda and stir well. It will get foamy.


Quickly spread the mixture into the warm, buttered cookie sheet and spread it out as thin as you can with the buttered spoon.


Let it cool and then break the candy into pieces. Store in an air tight container.  Important! Do not store with other candies.  if you do, it will become sticky and hard to eat. You want it to stay "brittle."


Again, remember you have to be patient when making this candy. Some have found success by using a candy thermometer.  I still make it the way my Mom did.  I haven't made any in a few years, but thinking maybe this year I will.

Happy Crafting, Cooking and Picture Taking!

Popular Posts