Rare Oddities Book Box and "Book of Spells"


Well, I thought I'd already shared this project that I designed last year but....I did a search here on my blog and I'd only shared the sneak peek of it back in August 2015.  So I guess I got busy and forgot!! So here it is!  This will be one of the projects that I decided to share for my intro as a Graphic 45 Designer.  This will be featured on their blog June 23rd. We were to share 3 projects that we've created in the past using Graphic 45 that are our favorites.  This one certainly qualifies for me!  This is a really large book box that I created out of chipboard and cardstock from scratch or "zero."  I used the fabulous Graphic 45 Rare Oddities paper collection and added in a lot of bling and ephemera from my own stash.  Love those black "crow" feathers!  The photo above is the large book box (it's about 9" x 10" I think).  I made it to look like a book that will sit on a shelf but it opens up to reveal a place to hold another book or whatever I may like to hide in it.   Below are close up photos of the areas on the front of the book box.





I made the curved spine of the book box out of black chipboard.  Then covered it with some of the patterned paper from the Rare Oddities collection.  I love the curved look of the spine which makes it look more like a real book.




The faux "pages" of the Book Book are made from black cardstock that I scored every 1/8" to make it resemble the pages of a closed book.  The closure, as shown below, is a Tim Holtz door knob and 4 black pony tail hair elastics.


When you unwrap the elastic bands from the door knob, the book box opens up with a drop down side to reveal the hidden "Book of Spells."  Which is a mini album for photos if I decide to put some in there.


Here's a couple of close up photos of the front of the mini album.  The shutter windows on the lower right side really open up to reveal a sinister surprise! Ha, ha.



The photo below is a close up of the first page inside the mini album which is a haunted library, of course.


There is so much to see inside this album and I'd be uploading photos all day.  To make it easier for you to see what it looks like, I uploaded a showcase flip through video to my YouTube Channel.

If you are reading this post via an email subscription, you will have to go to my blog or my YouTube Channel to see the video.


Okay, that's all I have to share for today.  I want to thank you all so much for reading my blog and watching my videos.  I hope you find some crafty inspiration from me and go forth to create projects of your own.  I will be uploading a couple of tutorials to my YouTube channel in the next several days.  These are from classes that I taught last year.  I've decided to move them from my private Vimeo channel to YouTube so all of you can watch and benefit from them now. If you took any classes from me last year and you go to Vimeo in search of videos of your class project, don't panic.  The account is indeed closed but the videos have or will be on YouTube shortly.  I hope you all have a fabulous weekend and find a bit of time to get crafty!

Happy Crafting,

Popular Posts