Up, Up and Away Mixed Media Art for Throwback Thursday


I only dabble in mixed media art. I like it. But it's too time consuming for me.  I know that sounds crazy for someone who spends hours making a mini album from the ground up but it does.  I think it's because once I start painting and doing a mixed media page that it is so much more messy though paper crafting is messy but mixed media requires drying time and brushes and containers to wash and well,  I just don't do it very often. In fact, I've put all my mixed media stuff away on a bottom shelf. I still have my art journal books. Who knows, one day I may be inspired to create another page.

The photo above is one I did back in January of 2014.  I love the bright colors and quirky look of the hills and town. I saw a similar painting on Etsy and set about to use that look on this page.  Here's how I created it:

  1. I used white Gesso and covered both the inclusion page on the left and the main page and dried it with my Tim Holtz heat gun.

  2. The texture for the clouds and some of the hills is drywall tape that we had left over from a bathroom wall repair we did a few months ago.

  3. To lay down color for the sky, I used my Gelato crayons and just rubbed lines of it in the colors I wanted across the page.  Then I took a brush that I repeatedly dipped into water and brushed the Gelato colors on the page to look more like watercolors.

  4. Next I took a Unity house set stamp and stamped all the little houses.  And colored them with my Big Brush Gelato markers.

  5. I colored the rolling hills and even over the drywall tape with my Big Brush Gelatos and rubbed them with a cloth to smooth out the color.

  6. The balloons are stamped circles and I used the cap to my Diet Pepsi bottle that just happened to be on my workdesk.  I used StazOn Black  Ink for the balloons and the houses.

  7. I added color to the balloons with my Gelato Big Brush markers and the cloth to rub the color in.  I used a black fine tip marker (I don’t have it downstairs with me or I’d share the brand) but anyway I used the black fine tip to draw the balloon strings and other details.

  8. The airplane and the bird are clipart images I found on my computer and printed up on regular copy paper.  I cut them out and matted them to the page with Golden Multi Matte Medium.  I then took the fine tip black marker and added detail lines.

  9. I used a set of Graphic 45 alphabet stamps and stamped “Up, Up and Away” onto copy paper and cut them out into squares and matted those with the Multi Matte Medium.  I outlined them with a fine black marker and a white Gelato marker pen.  I did the same type of lines on the airplane wings and along some of the hills.

  10. I added a bit more color to the sky with the Gelato Big Brush markers and rubbed in the color to get the look I wanted.

  11. The song lyrics are written with the fine tip black marker pen.

  12. To finish it all, I took a turquoise ink pad and a texture stamp and lightly stamped texture over different areas.

Okay, that's all I've got for today's Throwback Thursday.  This is actually a pre-scheduled post as I'm on my way to Mt. Calm, Texas for the KISS Retreat (scrapbooking) at the Compass Centre.  I'll be there until Sunday afternoon but there will be another pre-scheduled post for tomorrow showing you my FINISHED Christmas album for Finish it Friday!

Happy Crafting,

Popular Posts