Butterflies and Pippy for "Picture Day"


I used to take a lot of photographs. I took digital photography classes, participated in some photography workshops, helped my daughter shoot a few weddings, did a few portrait sessions and then had to quit because of my back.  I still love to grab my camera when I can and take a few images besides just my crafty projects.  I even have a photography blog but it's been quite some time since I've done a post over there.  I've decided to start slowly moving some of my photos over here to this blog and eventually close the other blog down.  The photos I posted yesterday for Memorial Day reminded me of how much I love my photos.  Sure there are others who are much better than I and their images are true works of art but still, I love mine and how I saw people and places through my camera lens.  Don't worry, photography is not  going to take over this blog but now and then I will have a "picture day."  After all, photos go with scrapbooks!

I took these pictures in our front yard in April 2012.  We have this beautiful "butterfly tree" that just one day grew on our fence line.  It's wonderful.  When it blooms it smells similar to honeysuckle vines. However it ended up in my yard, I am grateful!  If you've seen these photos before, no need to comment unless you just want to.

Here's what I had to say about these images that I took:
At noon today, I went outside to take photos of the butterflies flitting about in our front yard.  There is this tree that we did not plant and that has not always been here.  It came up wild and grew and grew in spite of hubby trying to keep it cut down.  I’ve intervened and asked that it be left alone as it blooms.  It has grown into the fence, that’s why he wants to cut it down.   I say…move the fence!   We don’t know  what it is but this year it has a ton of blooms and the butterflies love it!  My attempt at photographing the butterflies was iffy at best.  The wind is really moving the blooms and branches and with that movement the butterflies flit away.  Just as I got my camera settings ready and the light metered…everything would change.  Here are two that I think are okay.  There were so many butterflies…I see five in the photo below, how about you?


Piper cat likes to watch the butterflies too.  He followed me out to that corner of the yard and laid down in the grass.  Our grass is getting long.  Someone needs to find the time to mow a bit.  Say hey, Pippy.



The  birds were chirping in the background; however our peaceful reverie was interrupted by the sound of someone’s loud truck.  So much for a peaceful noon interlude with the butterflies.


TWO butterflies went out at noon

And waltzed above a stream,

Then stepped right through the firmament

And rested on a beam;

and then together bore away

Upon a shining sea,--

Though never yet, in any port,

Their mentioned be.

If spoken by the distant bird, 

If met in either sea

By frigate or by merchantman,

Report was not to me.

~Emily Dickinson


Update on me and my back.  It's slowly getting better.  Still gets stiff and very sore and I have some pain off and  on. I'm pretty sure all this rainy weather doesn't help at all.  I am able to walk some on the treadmill to loosen things up a bit.  I normally craft standing up and have a bar height table in my craft room for that because the last time I had a serious back problem I couldn't sit.  This time I can sit but can't stand much.  Sheesh.  I do have a desk area in my craft room with an office chair plus I have a bar stool so I hope to be crafting a lot more in a few days.  For those who have signed up for the May 30th class at Flossie Scrapper, it is still on!  Class starts at 10:00 a.m. I may be in a chair but I'll be there!


Happy Crafting!

Popular Posts