Technique Tuesday ~ Coloring Roses


Happy Tuesday!  Today I'm sharing my method of coloring roses for my mini albums and layouts.  I'm sure others have used this method and you may have too.  But just in case you haven't seen it, I decided it would make for a good Technique Tuesday.  For many months I've tried to think of a clever theme for certain days of the weeks for my blog. There are many other bloggers who use "Technique Tuesday" for their blogs.  I wanted something different but in the end--there didn't seem to be anything better than sharing techniques.  Will I have a technique for EVERY Tuesday? Probably not, though I would love it if I did.  We'll just have to play it by ear and see what I've got to share, if anything, each week.

It's really easy to color roses to get the colors you need for your specific project.

Step 1:   Gather up your supplies.  You will need white roses, Tim Holtz Distress Ink pads in the colors you want or need.  I chose Spiced Marmalade (orange) and Worn Lipstick (pink).  You will need foam applicators or pads for each ink you use.  And last but not least, Clear Wink of Stella Brush Pen if you want that beautiful, sparkly finish.


Step 2:  Start with just one of the ink colors and ink most of your rose.  Lift up petals and color underneath, inking with the foam applicator.  Leave some of the areas on the rose white.  In this step, I used the Worn Lipstick (pink) color.


Step 3:  Use a different foam pad and applicator and add the second color to the remaining white areas on the rose and onto the first color.  It's okay if there are still some white showing as it adds depth to the look of the rose.


Step 4:  Use a Clear Wink of Stella Brush pen and generously add sparkle to the entire rose.  Set aside to dry.




Follow Along with Snapguide:
Check out How to Color Paper Roses by Sandy Trefger on Snapguide.

That's it! You now have a custom colored rose to add to your crafty projects!  Mine are on a two page layout that I designed for Scrappin' Goodtime and I will be sharing that with you on a different day.

So do you have Technique Tuesday on your blog?  If so, comment and share your link.  If not, that's okay...leave a comment and let me know if you tried this method before or not.

Happy Crafting,

Popular Posts