Altered Composition Notebook ~ Getting "Organized"


It's still Monday, right?  At least for a few more hours!  I've been trying to get this post done all afternoon.  I do not know what I've accomplished today except maybe the laundry.  The office desk still looks the same with maybe more papers added on and I even missed my Yoga class. I did get to swim this afternoon in our new above ground pool that we set up over the weekend.  It was finally filled with water today! Hmmm..maybe that's what happened to today.

I have a confession--I have a split personality.  I'm the "office manager" for my husband's construction business.  That means I'm the secretary, receptionist, accountant, payroll clerk, dispatcher, etc.  I'm very well organized in this office.  I can tell you where a paper is filed, under what name and I recognize customers by their voices over the phone. I also know who is past due on their account and how long and what they owe.  I even remember if they have been delinquent years ago and the reasons why.   Everything gets filed away promptly (well except for today). Payments are posted the day received AND deposited.  But when I leave this office and get in my crafty room, that other personality emerges. She's crafty, thinks of and tries to create several projects at once and she drives me crazy!  She has many unfinished projects and she writes notes and measurements of projects  on sticky notes, scraps of paper, envelopes and whatever is handy. Those notes are put in many different places in the craft room and it can take days, weeks even, to find them, if ever.  {Sigh}

After not being able to find notes on a particular project I designed last year, I decided yesterday afternoon that enough was enough and that I would attempt to make that crafty personality person get organized.  I took a composition book like the one in the photo above (underneath the altered one) and made me a Project Notes "Notebook."  I then took the scraps and bits and random project notes that I could find and wrote them all in this altered notebook.  I even numbered the pages and made an index reference in the front.  I hope to put my notes INSIDE that notebook as I make a project or at least when I finish a project.  Surely, this will help "her" get organized too.

Altering a composition notebook is easy peasy.  Just measure the covers--front, back, outside and inside.  Cut papers to fit, corner round the corners as needed and glue onto the notebook.  Then go through your stash and find ribbon, bows, flowers and other ephemera to add to the cover.  I even made a pocket for the inside front cover to stick notes so they'll be easier to find.  Add a large paper clip, pen and make a bookmark out of some of the leftover papers and ta-da...you've got a beautiful notebook with ruled paper inside for all your notes.

So....do you have a split personality?  If you do, how do you control the one that drives you crazy?

Happy Crafting!

Popular Posts